Review: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I do not usually like reading fantasy novels, after being burnt by the Harry Potter series. I know many wouldn't agree but it really ruined the whole genre for me as a kid, mostly owing to the sub-par writing and language. I thought all fantasy novels were similar but I was mistaken. Lord of The Rings has renewed my faith in the Fantasy genre.
The first volume is incredibly conceived and elaborately described, so much so that you can actually hear the rivers, feel the heat and the cold weathers and wish direly that you had a Gandalf in your life. All this, without even having to watch the movies, because I haven't yet and I don't intend to till I get through the series and The Hobbit.
Tolkien's writing is reminiscent of Dickens', enhanced by the fact that the conception of a new universe requires far greater imagination and creativity which are abundant in the novel.
I am glad I got on the Tolkien bandwagon and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts